First Year of College

/
0 Comments

The first year of college was a whirlwind of news. New friends, new experiences, and new beginnings. One year ago I, just like most people my age, had just felt one of the highest highs of graduating high school. After the storm had calmed, the nerves set in and the months of waiting began. A mix of excitement, some serious nerves, and googling random "college" questions at 2am when I just couldn't sleep. 

Just like that it was time. With a lot of prayers and a lot of hugs, it was time. I had decided to do a program offered by my school where incoming students can take a class starting two weeks early. 

Thank the Lord that I did that program because I ended up meeting two of my best friends, and I'm rooming with one of them this year! Making friends in college was something that I had always thought about. I went to the same school for elementary school, middle school, and high school and stuck around with a grade of people more or less a few for 13 years. That being said I was completely freaking out literally asking "How the heck do I make friends??" I had been lucky enough to have an amazing group of friends for all of high school and I really credit them for making high school what it was. So then having to find a NEW group of friends completely weirded me out. 

Something about college that no one tells you is everyone there feels the same way about the first few days of school. The *cool* kids that you see  moving in effortlessly that look super not nervous? They are freaking out on the inside too about starting classes, making friends, and living away from home- trust me. Every single person you see for the first couple of days feels the exact same whether they look like it or not. 

Going back to my experience,  I was so so lucky to get a friend group together in the first couple of days where no one cared who you were. While I may not be friends with some of those people now, during your first few weeks it doesn't matter who you are friends with just talk to everyone. No one is going to care if they don't know you yet, just sit down with them and talk because you could become best friends. This was hard for me because being thrown in a social situation that it going to set the pace for the next FOUR years of your life can turn me off and I can get quiet. Something I would tell past me and any of you that may be the same is to trust yourself and stop overthinking (I'm Queen of Over-Thinking) everything will be ok! 

My school is a little different where we don't have sorority rush until January. I think that if I had to pick my sorority in August I would have been more overwhelmed than necessary. Not that I'm against August rush (I bet it helps you make friends a lot easier) I just don't think I could have done it. So I waited until January and had to really really step out of my comfort zone and join a group of people that wasn't just like me but would be fun. Whether I regret it or not I don't know. 

Now academically I struggled especially second semester with sorority recruitment. My high school wasn't easy per say, but they didn't push me and in college- they PUSHED me to my limits. Every person and every college is different and I am so happy I decided to attend where I attend because they pushed me in a way I  needed to be pushed. I maybe stupidly took two very hard classes at the same time second semester and because of it I spent most Saturday mornings camped out in the library while most people where hungover. Even then I didn't get the grades that I wanted and because of this I have to work even harder this upcoming year. But to be honest, I am so excited. I already have friends but I'm open to more. I am already in a sorority so I don't have to party every weekend just to be "seen" by the older girls. 

It also helps that the classes that I am taking this next semester really excite me and to be honest I don't know if that has ever happened to me before. I was a student that just went through the motions getting requirements out of the way and continuing but for the first time in a long time I am excited to learn and I credit not only significant people in my life (friends, family, Professors) but also myself. I am open to learning and I couldn't be more excited. With that being said I may say this and this could be worse than last semester and I will let you know. All I know is that I survived my freshman year of college and I'm proud and ready for the future. And just like that the first year was over. I had joined clubs and made friends. How did that happen? 

Thank you so much for reading this long long post. I had a lot to say and could continue for days.

For any of you who are getting ready to go to college- please feel free to ask any questions!

PS If you want more college posts- like roommates and my not so great time, let me know!


You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.